Thursday, February 28, 2008

Classic Cornbread

I’ll admit it, I used to only ever make cornbread from the Jiffy mix box. In my defense, I thought it was hard to make so I never looked into it. Well geez was I wrong! I made my first cornbread from scratch last year and could not believe how simple it is. I’ve tried a couple of versions now, and I think this is my favorite. It is sweet, without being heavy or overwhelming. It is moist, but still has a good dry crumble to it. Not bland, not showy- just nice like a good cornbread should be! Good ol’ Betty Crocker, sometimes she just plain knows her stuff!

We enjoyed this with from scratch baked beans and a fake chicken BBQ I threw together. Yeah, fake BBQ as in I cooked the chicken in a pan and then threw prepared BBQ sauce on it. It was tasty, but the bread and the beans were the stars this evening!

Sorry for the crappy picture, I didn't realize I hadn't blogged about this before, so I didn't really take good pics of the cornbread!

Classic Cornbread
From Betty Crocker

  • 1 C. Milk
  • 1/4 C. Butter, softened
  • 1 Egg
  • 1 1/4 C. Cornmeal
  • 1 C. Flour
  • 1/2 C. Sugar
  • 3 tsp. Baking Powder
  • 1/2 tsp. Salt

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Grease and flour a round 9 1/2” or square 8” pan.
  2. In a mixing bowl, mix together the milk, butter, and egg until well beaten.
  3. Add in remaining dry ingredients and mix until everything is just moist. It will be thick.
  4. Pour into the prepared pan.
  5. Bake in the oven 20-25 minutes until golden and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Mine only took about 20 minutes.
  6. Remove from oven, allow to cool for just a minute or two, then carefully slice and serve!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I always use Jiffy too! You have inspired me to try this recipe, thanks!