Monday, December 24, 2007

Swedish Apple Crisp


Before you ask, no, I don't know why this is Swedish! This recipe is from my mom and is so stinking easy, I can't even begin to say what a delight it is to make. And my mom has it written on her recipe card as "Swedish" and so it sticks.

Like I said, this is so darn simple to make. Step 1- slice apples and place in pan with spices. Step 2- whip up batter and slap on top. Step 3- bake then eat. No crust, no cooking the apples ahead of time, and the batter takes no time to make. And the best part? It is SOOO tasty! The crust gets nice and crisp on top and the smell is heavenly. The pumpkin cheesecake I made was well received, but everyone wanted a huge serving of the apple crisp with vanilla a la mode.


Swedish Apple Crisp
From My Mom

  • 6-8 Apples, any variety
  • Sugar, optional, only use if apples are tart
  • Traditional Apple Pie spices: cinnamon, ground ginger, cloves, allspice
  • 1 Egg
  • 1 C. Flour
  • 1 C. Sugar
  • 1 Stick Butter, melted
  • 1/2 C. Walnuts (optional- I never use)
  • 1/2 C. Raisins (optional- I never use)

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Peel, core, and cut up apples into bite sized pieces. Place in the center of a glass pie plate. Add in sugar, about 1/2 C. if using tart apples. Mix in spices, going heavy on the cinnamon. Stir in the pie plate to coat apples.
  3. In a large bowl, beat the egg. Add in the remaining ingredients and mix well.
  4. Pour the batter on top of the apples and press down to flatten as best as possible. Bake in heated oven for about 35 minutes or until browned.
  5. Let cool for a few minutes before serving. Excellent with a good vanilla ice cream on the side!

1 comment:

NJenn said...

It is really good and fun to make. I loved giving people samples of it and then after they told me they loved it I would tell them it had cheese in it. You get some shocked looks!