Sunday, December 16, 2007

Betty Crocker's Butter Lovin Stuffing

My husband told me, upon the suggestion that I add something like cranberries or nuts to the stuffing, that "you don't mess with the triumvirate of Thanksgiving- potatoes, turkey, and stuffing." Ok, ok- nothing "weird" in the stuffing!

Instead I stuck with the classic recipe I've made for a number of years now. It's from my go-to cookbook, Betty Crocker. Know why it is so good? The secret ingredient is butter! There is nothing fancy to it, and that is ok- it doesn't always have to be fancy to be delicious. Especially with butter involved!

I should mention that I've heard it is stuffing when it's in the bird and dressing when cooked outside. I think that's silly- it's stuffing no matter where it cooks. And that's my opinion!


Betty Crocker's Tried and True Stuffing
Source: Betty Crocker

  • 3/4 C. Butter
  • 2 Celery Stalks, chopped
  • 1 Onion, chopped
  • 9 C. Cubed White Bread (I used an entire loaf.)
  • 1 1/2 tsp. Fresh Thyme, chopped
  • 1 tsp. Salt
  • 1 1/2 tsp. Fresh Sage, chopped
  • Dash of Black Pepper

  1. Melt butter in a large sauce pan over medium heat.
  2. Cook the celery and onion in the butter for about 5-10 minutes until tender.
  3. Add in the remaining ingredients and gently mix to coat bread with butter.
  4. Transfer to a large casserole or glass dish and bake in a preheated 325 degree oven for about 45 minutes. You can cover for the first 30 minutes and then uncover for the last 15, but I don't think I remembered to do that. Also, you can cook it in the bird, but you should go to BettyCrocker.com for details!

No comments: