Sunday, December 30, 2007

Kim's Country Cookies

Who the heck is Kim?

This recipe makes me giggle a little every time I or my mom make it. The reason is that there is no Kim in our family tree or circle of friends. Kim's Country Cookies are from a doll I had when I was a kid- apparently that was her name. For whatever reason the marketing folks decided, this doll came with a recipe for delicious molasses cookies that have become a Christmas staple in my household.

These cookies are chewy, sweet, and I love the raisins. At the holidays it's very easy to get chocolated out- I know, that sounds crazy, but it's true. These baked goods are a nice change of pace and are just as simple as any recipe you'd make the rest of the year. So we keep it around and occasionally it makes an appearance at the 4th of July.

Kim, however, we believe has gone the way of the Goodwill truck, though it's possible she's crammed in a box in my parents' attic- you just don't know. Thanks anyway doll!


Kim's Country Cookies
From a random toy from the 80's

  • 3/4 C. Vegetable Oil
  • 1/4 C. Molasses
  • 1 C. Sugar
  • 1 Egg
  • 2 C. Flour
  • 1 tsp. Cinnamon
  • 2 tsp. Baking Soda
  • 1/2 tsp. Salt
  • 1/2 tsp. Ground Cloves
  • 1/2 tsp. Ginger
  • 1/2 C. Raisins (or more)
  • Sugar (white granulated)

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. In a Kitchen aid mixer, or large bowl with hand mixer, beat together the oil, molasses, sugar and egg on medium speed until smooth.
  3. Add in dry ingredients and mix. Stir in raisins.
  4. Roll dough into small 1" balls. Place dough onto ungreased cookie sheet and sprinkle with a little bit of white sugar.
  5. Bake in hot oven for about 8 minutes until the cookies have flattened and set up. Cool on a baking rack and store in airtight container until ready to serve or give.


Note that my cookies were kind of crumbly and susceptible to breaking easily. This may just be because I was storing them in a loosey goosey freezer bag on the counter where they no doubt got shoved around by me and Adam. The fridge might have been a better place for them.

1 comment:

Traveling Typer said...

Thank you for publishing this recipe. I also had "Kim". And loved making (and eating) these cookies as a kid! Have some molasses to use up and googled it hoping it would be some place in the internet world.