Sunday, October 28, 2007

Spinach & Goat Cheese Tartlets

Tartlets! Something new for me that I've been eager to try!

Sometimes there are things you want to try your hand at, but you just don't have a good excuse to make it. For me, one of those was tartlets- that little appetizer that can be sweet or savory- and really just doesn't make sense when cooking for me and the hubby.

But now a Halloween party, that's a great reason to make tartlets! They are tasty, unique, and are a great compact finger food. And I'm surprised how easy they were. I suppose it would have been harder if I made my own crust, but I just didn't have that kind of time. This whole recipe came together in about 50 minutes, with 30 of those being baking time.

I think these will come back for Thanksgiving with all the parents and vegetarian brother!


Spinach & Goat Cheese Tartlets
(Makes 24 small tartlets)

  • 1 1/2 C. Fresh Spinach, chopped
  • 1 Stalk Green Onion, chopped
  • 2 Eggs
  • 1/3 C. Heavy Cream
  • 4 oz. Soft Goat Cheese
  • Black Pepper
  • 2 9" Prepared Dough for Pie Crusts

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. In a small pan, cook the spinach and onion until the spinach is partially wilted. Set aside to cool in a medium bowl.
  3. Unroll pie crust and use a circular object to cut circles about 1/2" larger than the tartlet pan cups. (My pans had about 2 1/2" diameters, so I used a 3" wide glass.) Press the object into the dough, take the dough circle, and press it into the tartlet pan, keeping any excess on the top.
  4. In a small dish, beat the 2 eggs. Add in the cream and whisk again until smooth.
  5. Pour egg mixture in with spinach and stir. Crumble in the goat cheese and stir briskly to "melt" cheese into the batter. Stir in a couple of dashes of black pepper.
  6. Pour the spinach mix into each tartlet shell, filling about 2/3 the way up.
  7. Bake for about 30 minutes. Filling will bubble up slightly and set. Remove when shell crust is browned. Cool and serve warm.

1 comment:

Jaime said...

these look great! mmmm another goat cheese recipe :)