Saturday, October 6, 2007

Shrimp with Mango & Tomatillo Salsa

One of my best friends Dianna Lee got married last weekend to a great guy Glenn in a lovely ceremony in Boston. We had quite the blast! DLee has blogged here before with her yummy looking Chicken & Sausage Pizza. This time she sent me this recipe and I finally got around to making it on Friday night.

I had gone after work to Whole Foods to do my grocery shopping. Well, it was my second time in there and the first was a lot better. First time I just wanted some speciality things and it was a fun trip. This time I tried to do my normal shopping there and I thought I was going to bunch some granola-eating, patchouli-wearing hippie by the time I was through! Never again. I did however get the tomatillos I needed for this recipe.

Adam and I went out to a local hotel to listen to my neighbor play in a jazz duo. We enjoyed a couple of cocktails and split a couple of appetizers, which killed my appetite and the timing for dinner. I still ended up making this and we ate it around 10 PM. It was late, we weren't that hungry... and it was all devoured! What a tasty, tangy and unique treat! We didn't have the bread for dipping, but when I make this for a full dinner next, it will be a necessity.

Thanks Dianna!


Shrimp with Mango-Tomatillo Salsa
From Guest Blogger dlee, the newly married Dianna Lee!
Salsa

  • 1 Fresh Mango, pitted and chopped (can also use 1 bag frozen mango chunks, thawed)
  • 4-6 Tomatillos, outer papery skins removed, roughly chopped
  • 1 Large Garlic Clove, minced
  • Juice and Zest of 1 Lime
  • 1/2 Jalapeno, seeded & minced
  • 3 Tbsp Fresh Cilantro, chopped


  1. In a blender, combine all ingredients and puree until a smooth consistency is reached. Set aside to serve with shrimp.


Marinated Shrimp
  • 1 Lb. Medium Shrimp, shelled & deveined
  • 2 Large Garlic Cloves
  • 3 Herb sprigs, assorted (parsley, cilantro, basil, dill -whatever you have)
  • 1/4 C. Orange Juice
  • 2/3 C. Vegetable Oil
  • Salt & Pepper to taste


  1. Combine all ingredients except shrimp in food processor. Puree until smooth and consistent.
  2. Cover shrimp with marinate and let it sit no longer than 10 mins.
  3. Cook shrimp either on the grill or in a saute pan for about 5 minutes.
  4. Serve shrimp with prepared salsa either as a plate garnish or a dip to the side. Best served with a crusty bread for soaking!

No comments: