Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Mom's Version of $h!t on a Shingle

Ok, so I should start this entry by stating that I really like this recipe. Adam says that he likes it too. I get this recipe from my mom and it is a good childhood comfort food. My mom is an excellent cook- she knows her way around delicious and complex recipes and can make a great deal of fancy schmancy meals to delight. This little number showed up probably about once a month and I can only imagine it was a good lazy evening meal to just get the family some nutrition.

Now let's face it- any meal that has toast as a main ingredient (and not caviar or pate too) ain't gonna show up at the Ritz any time soon. However, I find Creamed Tuna on Toast a perfectly decent and yummy meal for when I don't feel like cooking but want something warm, from scratch, and with the major food groups!


Creamed Tuna on Toast
Serves 1-2, can easily be doubled or more

  • 1-2 Tbsp. Butter
  • 1-2 Tbsp. Flour
  • 3/4 C. Milk
  • Salt & Pepper to taste (about 1/2 tsp. each)
  • 1 Can Tuna
  • 1/2 C. Frozen Peas
  • 2 or more Slices of Bread

  1. In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
  2. Add in flour and with a whisk, blend butter and flour until smooth and bubbly.
  3. Pour in milk and increase heat to medium-high. Stir often until milk starts to boil and sauce thickens. Continue stirring until you reach the desired consistency- something a little thick and creamy. Reduce heat to medium to prevent burning.
  4. Add in salt and pepper to taste.
  5. Break up tuna into white sauce and stir to blend.
  6. Toast the bread.
  7. Stir in frozen peas and stir over heat until heated through.
  8. Butter toast if desired, and then spoon tuna mixture on toast. Serve hot.

1 comment:

Martha said...

In our house, the usual "$h!t on a Shingle" was creamed chipped beef on toast. Bleargh (but my dad loved it). I don't even know if you can buy chipped beef any more. The stuff was soooo salty.

Your mom's version (which did make an occasional appearance at my house) was much more to my liking!