Thursday, October 25, 2007

Cashew Chicken

Unlike the rest of the recipes from my 2 week "hiatus" from posting, I was a good girl for this one and [drum roll please] actually wrote down the recipe as I made it! I know, it's a modern miracle.

And I'm glad I did- it was really good! I don't often make Chinese or Chinese-American food at home. I don't have a good reason for that, it just doesn't come to mind. But I saw a recipe on Joelen's blog for something called Bourbon Chicken and it made me think of one of my favorite Chinese take-out recipes, Cashew Chicken. I reviewed her recipe as well as a bunch online and took all that info and made up my own.



I served this with brown rice. I haven't had it before and it was so freaking good with this. I'm sure white rice or fried rice would be a good match, but the brown rice just had the perfect added-depth flavor that worked. Yum.


Cashew Chicken

  • 1 Clove Garlic, minced
  • 1 Onion, chopped
  • 1 C. Chicken Broth
  • 1 C. Fish Broth (I used lobster base.)
  • 2 Tbsp. Sesame Oil
  • 1 Tbsp. Soy Sauce
  • 1 Tbsp. Rice Vinegar
  • 1 T. Apple Brandy (next time I won't bother)
  • 2 Tbsp. Brown Sugar
  • 1/4 tsp. Red Pepper Flakes
  • 1/2 tsp. 5 Spice Powder
  • 2 Chicken Breasts, cubed into bite sized pieces
  • 1 Package Frozen Stir Fry Veggies
  • 1/2+ C. Raw Cashews

  1. In a large saute pan with lid, saute garlic and onion in sesame oil over medium heat.
  2. When onion is tender, pour in liquids, spices, and brown sugar. Stir and let simmer over medium heat for a few minutes.
  3. Add in chicken pieces, stir, and cover. Allow pan to simmer, stirring occasionally, until chicken is thoroughly cooked.
  4. With the heat still on medium, add the frozen veggies. I added them while still frozen. I had to keep them covered, repeatedly stirred to coat with the warm sauce, and turn the heat up to get them to cook. You could save time by mostly thawing them before adding to the pan.
  5. Once veggies are hot, add in the cashews and stir to coat with the sauce. Serve everything over brown, white, or fried plain rice.

No comments: