Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Everyday Beef Burritos

Wednesday evenings are belly dancing nights- I take a class locally. I have to leave for class at 7 and I get home anywhere from 8:30 to 9:15. Makes dinner prep a little challenging. When I got home from work at 5:30, I was STARVING and had to eat before leaving again. That left me 1.5 hours to prep, cook, and eat something with maybe some extra time to digest before having to shake my belly for an hour!

We had some leftover steak that I had grilled over the weekend, so I went for the ol standby of burritos. I always have various tex-mex items around that I can whip up for a quick and filling dinner. I also made a rice that was really quite boring. In fact it's so boring I'm not going to provide the recipe. Ok, I will, but don't bother making it.

The burrito was delicioso though and good for any ol' weeknight. Tonight's ingredients are listed below, but use anything that strikes your fancy! This bad boy was started at 6:00 PM, cooked and assembled by 6:25 PM, eaten by 6:40 PM. Not quite enough time eliminate the stomach food brick in the middle of my belly rolls, but it gave me enough energy to shimmy!


Everyday Beef Burritos


  • 2 Green Onions, chopped
  • Leftover Cooked Steak, chopped (also works with leftover chicken, or most any meat you've got around, including fish)
  • 1/2 C. Tomato Salsa
  • 1 tsp. Chipotle Seasoning
  • Dashes of Cumin and Oregano
  • 2 Tbsp. Green Olives, chopped
  • 1 Can Black Beans, drained
  • 2-3 Tbsp. Cilantro, chopped
  • Shredded Cheddar Cheese
  • Tortillas
  • Sour Cream (optional)

  1. In a medium skillet, heat up some olive oil and saute the green onions.
  2. While the onions cook, put the meat in a pile and pour the seasonings on them. Rub the spices in to flavor them. Put them in the skillet and stir.
  3. Add in the salsa, olives, beans, and cilantro. Heat everything through. (The leftover meat is already cooked, so this whole process is to just simmer down the salsa and warm everything up.)
  4. In a tortilla, spread a handful of cheddar cheese along the center. Place a couple of spoonfulls of mixture on top and then roll up. Add a dab of sour cream and enjoy!


Crappy Mexican Primavera Style Rice
(Please don't make it like this- it needs a lot of help!)
  • 2 C. White Rice
  • 2 1/4 C. Water
  • 1 Package Sauzon Seasoning (I'm convinced this stuff is just orange dye.)
  • 1/4 C. Frozen Peas
  • 1/4 C. Frozen Corn

  1. In a sauce pan, add in rice, water, and seasoning packet. Bring to a boil. Let boil for 1 minute and then cover and turn down heat to low.
  2. Allow to cook 20-30 minutes until rice is done. Add in the peas and corn and stir to heat through.
  3. Put on your plate and pick at it. Admit that it wasn't very good and focus on the tasty burrito next to the untouched pile of grains!

No comments: