Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Mushroom & Goat Cheese Raviolis

As I mentioned in the previous post, we are going to be eating a lot of chicken this week- and a lot of Mexican style meals as well. Tuesday's dinner needed to be something non-poultry to break up the week's relative monotony! I had some time to make something interesting and I had purchased some goat cheese without any particular recipe in mind.

All of this culminated in deciding to make homemade raviolis for dinner. Of course, I kind of killed my own plan of using things in my kitchen since I ended up at the store to buy wonton wrappers, sage, portabello mushrooms, and ricotta cheese. (I didn't end up using the ricotta and I probably could have stuck with just plain mushrooms, but that's a whole other sidetrack!)

The meal was very rich and the flavors were good. It took about an hour for it to come together- so not the fastest in the world! However, my butter sauce went from brown to black when I over cooked it, and the raviolis I'm sure would have been better with fresh pasta. The wontons are just too thick and chewy for a meal intended to be delicate. I would make this again, but in the sake of my expanding thighs, I would find another sauce (maybe something white wine based?) and skip the portabellos.


Mushroom & Goat Cheese Raviolis with Browned Butter Sage Sauce
Raviolis

  • Wonton Wrappers
  • Olive Oil
  • 2 Cloves of Garlic, chopped
  • 1-2 Tbsp. Chopped Onion
  • 1 1/2 C. Portabello Mushrooms, finely chopped
  • 1 C. White Mushrooms, finely choppes
  • 1 tsp. Fresh Sage, chopped
  • 3 oz. Goat Cheese, crumbled
  • Egg White of 1 Egg

  1. In a medium saute pan, saute garlic and onion over medium heat until translucent.
  2. Add in all of the mushroom and increase heat to medium-high. Cook mixture, stirring occasionally, until most of the moisture is removed. The mushrooms will shrink significantly. Once cooked, turn off heat and allow mixture to cool down some.
  3. In a medium bowl, mix together goat cheese, fresh sage, and warm/ cool mushroom mixture.
  4. In a small bowl, whip egg white and 1 tsp of water until frothy.
  5. On a dry cutting board, spread out some wontons. (I did 6 at a time.) Brush the facing side of the wrapper with the egg white mixture and then place a small dollop of the mushroom filling in the middle. Depending on the size of your wonton wrappers, this can be as little as 1/2 tsp and as much as 1 Tbsp. I used about 1 tsp. per ravioli.
  6. Fold the wonton in half, gently squeezing out any air and sealing the wet sides together. If desired, press the sides together on one side and then flip the ravioli and repeat on the other side. I did this to make them more symmetrical, but it is not necessary. Also, because my raviolis had an excess of pasta along the corners due to the rectangular shape of the wrappers, I sliced off the corner, creating a rounded crescent shape. This again is optional.
  7. Bring a medium saucepan of water to a gentle boil. Carefully drop in the raviolis, using either a slotted spoon or wire ladle. You can also drop them in manually, but beware of splashing, scalding water!
  8. Cook pasta about 3-5 minutes until wontons become somewhat translucent and the raviolis float. Drain in a colander and serve hot with a light sauce.


Browned Butter Sage Sauce
Inspired by recipes from FoodNetwork.com
  • 3-4 Tbsp. Butter
  • 1-2 tsp. Fresh Sage, chopped
  • 1-2 Tbsp. White Wine

  1. In the pan where mushrooms were cooked, melt the butter over medium heat and allow it to brown slightly.
  2. Add in sage and allow it to get browned.
  3. Splash in white wine and stir in. Serve immediately so sauce does not burn!

No comments: