Monday, October 13, 2008

Sweet & Sour Tofu

In a continuing effort to make more vegetarian dishes, I'm trying to incorporate more tofu into our diet. Adam just loves tofu. I'm not sure why... I mean it is very versatile and the texture is ok, but I don't see why it is so great. That's ok though- I am happy to prepare and eat it even I have no passion for it!

So not to continue on the "Negative Nellie" trend, but I have up until now avoided any sweet and sour recipes for the sole reason that I'm not a huge fan of bell peppers when they are so forward in a recipe. For example, never will I make stuffed bell peppers or get a pizza with mostly pepper topping. So the idea of sweet and sour anything with those big chunks of pepper just lightly sauteed really had no appeal. But, in the spirit of trying something again with an open mind and palette, I went for it.

I have to say, it was really good and the peppers were not "too much" for me. The flavors all mixed beautifully and I dare say it was a lot like the take-out version, but much healthier! Go tofu!


Sweet and Sour Tofu
Based from AllRecipes.com

  • 1 Package Extra Firm Tofu
  • 1 Onion, chopped
  • 1 Clove of Garlic, minced
  • 1 Bell Pepper, chopped
  • 1 Carrot, sliced
  • 1 8 oz. Can of Chunk Pineapple
  • 1/4 C. Cider Vinegar
  • 1/4 C. White Wine
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp. Ketchup
  • 2 Tbsp. Soy Sauce
  • 1 tsp. Sesame Oil
  • 1 Tbsp. Brown Sugar
  • 1 Tbsp. Cornstarch plus 1-2 Tbsp. Water
  • Pinch Red Pepper Flakes


  1. Press the tofu between 2 towels or thick layers of papertowels to drain. Once the tofu has been drained, slice it into large 1.5" chunks.
  2. In a large saute pan, heat some olive oil over medium-high heat and add in the tofu. Cook the tofu until it is browned on all sides.
  3. Add in the onion, garlic, pepper and carrots and saute until the onions start to become translucent.
  4. Add in the pineapple with juice, all the liquids & brown sugar and stir to mix. Let it simmer gently for a minute or two.
  5. Mix the cornstarch in the small amount of water and then add into the pan. Stir in the red pepper flakes and any salt and pepper you may want. Let it simmer so that the sauce thickens up.
  6. Serve hot over rice or noodles.

1 comment:

dlee said...

I am developing a food fetish for tofu. I order whenever we go out for Thai and I've tried making it at home a few times now. Question -- I want a very "fried" outside crust, but can't seem to get it. I've tried both pan-frying and cooking with hardly any oil. Have you had any luck?