Monday, September 29, 2008

Sun-Dried Tomato Risotto

Here in our house, we love the warm, creamy comfort that risotto brings to a meal. I think I've said it before, but I don't understand the idea that risotto is a difficult dish to prepare. Folks site the length of time involved or the amount of effort involved in "babysitting" the dish. For me, I am going to be in the kitchen prepping dinner for a good 30 minutes anyway, so what's a little stirring and pouring on the stovetop when I’m already involved in cooking!

So not only do I love that risotto fits into my dinner prep schedule, it is also so versatile! You can have your plain Parmesan version or you can kick it up with artisan cheeses, specialty mushrooms, savory vegetables, smoky meats, or fresh seafood. This chameleon dish is happy to be the star of the meal, or morph into a perfect complimentary side.

With all this adoration, I was pleasantly surprised to find a recipe for sun dried tomato risotto attached to the cap of my Bella Sun Luci bottle! We made it and devoured it- the flavors were fantastic together. It was the perfect addition to the stuffed chicken entree and will definitely be on the menu again soon.


Sun Dried Tomato Risotto
From Mooney Farms, Bella Sun Luci Sun Dried Tomatoes

  • 1 Onion, chopped
  • 2 Cloves of Garlic, minced
  • 1 C. Risotto (Arborio) Rice
  • 4-6 C. Chicken Broth, warmed
  • 1/2 C. Sun Dried Tomatoes (packed in oil), chopped
  • 1/4 C. Fresh Basil, chopped
  • 1-2 tsp. Dried Parsley (I didn’t have fresh on hand.)
  • Salt & Black Pepper
  • 1/4+ C. Parmesan Cheese, grated

  1. In a large saucepan, heat a few tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Saute the onion and garlic until the onion starts to become translucent.
  2. Add in the dry risotto rice. Stir to coat the rice with oil and let it sit for a minute to brown.
  3. Pour in about 3/4 cups of broth to the pan. Bring to a low boil and stir the risotto. As the liquid starts to absorb, add in the tomatoes, basil, parsley and salt & pepper to taste. Give a good stir.
  4. Continue to pour in 1/2 to 1 cup of broth and stir until the rice is al dente and creamy. Personally, I pour the liquid in, give it a stir, and then let it sit for a few minutes while it simmers away. I only stir every few minutes, usually in between chopping something else that will go into dinner. When I give a stir and the bottom of the pan is dry, that's when I add in more broth.
  5. You may not need all of the broth. Other liquids can be used as well such as water or white wine. The stirring will create the creaminess and the slow simmering will make the rice soft and chewable!
  6. Just before serving, stir in the grated Parmesan until it melts and is thoroughly mixed in.

2 comments:

Kelsey said...

This looks awesome. I'm definitely trying it!

Michael said...

I love your blog! I am Social Media Manager at Mooney Farms (Bella Sun Luci), I would love to send you the rest of our product line to see what kind of great recipes you will put together! Please e-mail back at mooneyfarm@aol.com