Saturday, April 19, 2008

Grilled Salmon Salad - Asian Style

Left to my own devices, I would feed myself with Doritos, Pasta Roni side dishes, ice cream, and chicken nuggets. Don't get my wrong, I consider myself a foodie, but I'm perfectly content to eat processed crap.

Because I don't want to have to be removed from my house with a crane someday however, I don't eat that junk- at least not with any regularity. And in fact, I'm trying to maybe loose a little of the ol' junk my personal trunk- it is swimsuit season soon after all.

Generally speaking, I am no fan of salad. In the words of The Simpsons, "You don't make friends with salad!" However, this little creation was way delicious! First part of the equation- asian marinated salmon grilled. Second part- homemade pumpernickel croutons. Third element- fresh greens and a light asian dressing. What does it equal? Filling and tasty dinner we wolfed down!

Adam and I were both very surprised at just how perfect the pumpernickel bread went with asian fish- it was like they were made for each other! This one will be making a comeback this summer!


Grilled Salmon Salad
Marinade
From Allrecipes.com

  • 3 Tbsp. Soy Sauce
  • 2 Tbsp. Rice Wine Vinegar
  • 2 tsp. Sugar
  • 1 Tbsp. Sesame Oil
  • Dash Mustard Powder
  • Dash Ground Ginger
  • Dash Black Pepper


Salad


Dressing
  • 1 Tbsp. Soy Sauce
  • 1 Tbsp. Sesame Oil
  • 1 tsp. Rice Wine Vinegar
  • Dash Ground Ginger

  1. Prepare the marinade by mixing all ingredients and place the salmon in it for about an hour.
  2. Prepare the croutons and allow to cool.
  3. Heat a grill to medium heat and lightly oil the grate. Cook the marinated salmon on the grill, skin side touching the grate. Allow to cook for about 10-15 minutes, until the fish flakes on top.
  4. Carefully flip the fish once to grill on the exposed flesh for about 30 seconds and then remove from grill.
  5. Prepare the dressing by whisking together all the ingredients.
  6. On a cutting board (back inside of course!), remove the fish from the skin and cut into nice bite sized pieces.
  7. Mix together the elements of the salad in a nice bowl.
  8. Plate the salad and then lightly drizzle just a little dressing over everything. It does not take much to just add a nice depth and moisten the spinach. Enjoy!

No comments: