Saturday, March 15, 2008

Shrimp Enchiladas

I had a wonderful seafood enchilada dinner planned- I was going to make a whole batch with crab and shrimp and maybe regular fillet fish. Strike one- no canned crab in the pantry. Strike two- no regular fish in the freezer. Crap!

So I went on with plans, revamping to just use shrimp. I cooked up the shrimp filling, warmed up the creamy sauce, and got out the big dish. I look in the shrimp pan and realize that I hardly have any filling! Grrr, strike three!

Redirecting again... got a smaller oval dish, and filled up my 2 tortillas. There was a ton of sauce, but I poured it on anyway and baked it, figuring there wouldn't be enough for dinner. Boy was I wrong- delicious and SO filling! I mean, we're talking restaurant quality here. I suppose the butter and cream and cheese helps!

Next time I'm eager to add in the crab and fish and maybe make a few more enchiladas, but this was a super tasty dinner for a special treat now and again!


Shrimp Enchiladas
Modified from AllRecipes.com

  • 1 Lb. Shrimp, raw and chopped
  • (For next time) 1 Can Crab meat and 1/2 Lbs. Cooked White Fish, flaked
  • 2 Cloves Garlic, chopped
  • 1 Medium Onion, chopped
  • 2-3 Tbsp. Butter
  • 2/3 C. Sour Cream (fat free is fine)
  • 1/4 C. Skim Milk
  • 1/4 C. Heavy Cream
  • 1 Small can Chopped Green Chilis
  • 1 tsp. Chili Powder
  • 1 tsp. Onion Powder
  • 1 tsp. Dried Cilantro
  • 1/2 tsp. Garlic Powder
  • 1/2 tsp. Dried Oregano
  • 1/2 tsp. Dried Parsley
  • 1 1/2 C. Monterrey Jack Cheese, shredded
  • Chopped Black Olives
  • Fresh Cilantro, chopped


  1. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
  2. In a medium saute pan, cook the onion and garlic over medium heat.
  3. Add in shrimp and cook through until good and pink.
  4. While onion and garlic are cooking, melt the butter in a medium saucepan over low-medium heat.
  5. Add in the sour cream, milk, and regular cream. Be sure to keep the heat fairly low so the sour cream doesn't get funky. As the mixture heats up, add in the green chilis and spices.
  6. As the shrimp finishes cooking, add in about 1/4 C. of the enchilada sauce into the filling mixture. This keeps them good and moist while cooking.
  7. In a tortilla, put in a small handful of cheese. On top of the cheese, put in a decent amount of shrimp filling. As I said above, I only got 2 tortillas out of this, so I put in half. Roll the tortilla and place it in the dish.
  8. Repeat with as many tortillas as you can cram in!
  9. Pour the sauce over the enchiladas, and then put cheese on top of everything. Last step, sprinkle on the black olives and cilantro.
  10. Bake in the oven for about 30 minutes until bubbly. Serve warm while you're hungry!

1 comment:

Jaime said...

mmm.... so creamy and delicious! i definitely want to try this :)